New Netflix Movies Coming to Netflix in 2022 and Beyond
Welcome to our huge updated preview of Netflix Original movies currently in development and scheduled to come to Netflix in 2022, 2023, or beyond.
The Netflix Original movie library has ballooned in recent years with stories from around the world being told on Netflix and there’s plenty more to come. In fact, there are 100s of upcoming movies coming soon to Netflix and below is our attempt at listing all the big movies due to release in the coming years.
Now it’s important to state this isn’t every movie in development. We actually don’t think we’ve even covered half of the movies currently on their way. Also, we’re also only going to feature predominantly English language titles for the sake of not making this list last forever.
So without further ado, here’s our massive preview of movies coming to Netflix starting in 2022, into 2023, and beyond.
Netflix Original Movies Coming in 2022
All the titles listed below are confirmed to be coming to Netflix in 2022.
A Jazzman’s Blues
Genre: Crime, Drama | Director: Tyler Perry
Cast: Josh Boone, Solea Pfeiffer
Creator Tyler Perry has reportedly waited over 25 years to get his period-crime drama A Jazzman’s Blues into development. The story takes place across 50 years, from 1937 to 1987 as an investigation is lead into an unsolved murder mystery.
All Quiet on the Western Front
Genre: War Drama | Director: Edward Berger
Cast: Daniel Brühl, Albrecht Schuch, Sebastian Hülk, Edin Hasanovic
This multi-lingual movie will be played out from the perspective of a young German soldier’s experience on the Western Front during World War I.
The movie is one of our most anticipated movies and currently aiming for a 2022 release date.
Genre: Drama, Romance | Director: Andrew Dosunmu
Cast: Niecy Nash, Alyse Shannon, Giancarlo Esposito, Gracie Marie Bradley, Kayle Bary, Michael Ward, Sharon Stone
A gifted young Black woman, Beauty, has a lucrative music career ahead of her. As she is pulled this way and that by the expectations of her family, her best friend, and her record label, Beauty struggles to remain true to herself.
Genre: Drama, Biopic | Director: Andrew Dominik
Cast: Ana de Armas, Adrien Brody, Bobby Cannavale, Julianne Nicholson, Lily Fisher, Caspar Phillipson, Toby Huss, Sara Paxton
Based on the 2000 novel of the same name, this biopic is a reimagining of the tragic life of Marilyn Monroe (played by Ana de Armas). Adrien Brody stars as Monroe’s husband, The Playwright (AKA Arthur Miller) and Caspar Phillipson stars as JFK.
This will be the fifth time he’s played the late president: Phillipson previously filled the role in the 2016 biopic, Jackie, the short film The Speech JFK Never Gave, the History Channel TV drama Project Blue Book, plus a number of stage performances.
Choose or Die
Genre: Horror, Thriller | Director: Toby Meakins
Cast: Asa Butterfield, Eddie Marsan, Robert Englund, Kate Fleetwood, Angela Griffin, Ryan Gage
Asa Butterfield who has exploded in popularity in recent years thanks to his inclusion in Netflix’s Sex Education will star this new horror thriller (previously known as CURS>R) which comes from the director of Lot254 and Breathe.
It’s about a broke student who is trying to gain an unclaimed prize from an obscure 1980s computer game.
Filming reportedly finished on the movie in the middle of summer 2021 and is scheduled to hit in 2022.
Genre: Fantasy | Director: J.J. Perry
Cast: Natasha Liu Bordizzo, Steve Howey, Jamie Foxx, Scott Adkins, Eric Lange, Dave Franco, Meagan Good
Described as a vampire hunter movie, Day Shift is being directed by the director of John Wick 2 and The Fate of the Furious.
It’ll follow a blue-collar dad who fronts as a pool cleaner but is in actual fact, a notorious vampire hunter.
Enola Holmes 2
Genre: Action | Director: Harry Bradbeer
Cast: Millie Bobby Brown, Henry Cavill, Louis Partridge, Helena Bonham Carter, David Thewlis, Susan Wokoma
After the success of the first Enola Holmes, Netflix quickly gave a greenlight to a sequel which will be coming out in 2022 having filmed in late 2021 and wrapped in January 2022.
Here’s what you can expect from the sequel:
“Now a detective-for-hire like her infamous brother, Enola Holmes takes on her first official case to find a missing girl, as the sparks of a dangerous conspiracy ignite a mystery that requires the help of friends — and Sherlock himself — to unravel.”
Falling For Christmas
Genre: Christmas Romantic Comedy | Director: Janeen Damian
Cast: Lindsay Lohan, Chord Overstreet, George Young, Jack Wagner, Olivia Perez
Heading up Netflix’s Christmas movie lineup for 2022 will be the new Lindsay Lohan holiday feature.
The movie sees a spoiled heiress getting into a skiing accident and suffering from amnesia. She finds herself in the care of a lodge owner where she strikes up an unlikely relationship.
Guillermo del Toro’s Pinocchio
Genre: Animation | Director: Guillermo del Toro
Cast: Cate Blanchett, Ewan McGregor, Tilda Swinton, Ron Pearlman, Christoph Waltz
Guillermo del Toro is working on a number of big projects for Netflix as part of his output deal but perhaps the most exciting is this modern, darker retelling of Pinnochio.
Filmed entirely in stop-motion, we’ll see the classic children’s fairytale come to life with a huge cast. Voices set to feature include Ewan McGregor, Tilda Swinton, Christopher Waltz, and Ron Perlman.
The movie will be coming to Netflix in December 2022.
Genre: Comedy, Sport | Director: Jeremiah Zagar
Cast: Adam Sandler, Robert, Duvall, Ben Foster, Queen Latifah
A big cast will unite in this Happy Madison Productions picture that sees a basketball scout trying to get back into the professional basketball circuit with a new up-and-comer.
The movie is coming to Netflix in June 2022.
Genre: Action | Director: Matthew Reilly
Cast: Elsa Pataky, Luke Bracey
Action thriller from writer and director Matthew Reilly following the events that take place after 16 nuclear missiles are launched upon the US. Elsa Pataky, Luke Bracey, and Aaron Gelnane star.
Knives Out 2
Genre: Thriller | Director: Rian Johnson
Cast: Daniel Craig, Edward Norton, Janelle Monáe, Dave Bautista, Kathryn Hahn, Leslie Odom Jr., Kate Hudson, Jessica Henwick, Madelyn Cline
The first Knives Out movie was a smash hit for Lionsgate and will now be returning for a sequel with a brand new case to be solved by Benoit Blanc.
The sequel began filming in Greece in June 2021.
A third movie is also in development with Rian Johnson and Daniel Craig once again attached.
Lady Chatterley’s Lover
Genre: Drama | Director: Laure de Clermont-Tonnerre
Cast: Jack O’Connell, Joely Richardson, Faye Marsay, Emma Corrin, Ella Hunt
Adaptation of the D.H. Lawrence novel from writer David Magee. The movie will tell the story of a woman who breaks out of her marriage vows falling in love with a man who works on her estate.
The movie began filming in September 2021 and comes from Sony Pictures Entertainment (the first movie from Netflix’s big output deal with Sony).
Luckiest Girl Alive
Genre: Drama, Mystery | Director: Mike Barker
Cast: Connie Britton, Mila Kunis, Chiara Aurelia, Finn Wittrock, Justine Lupe
Lionsgate is behind this movie coming exclusively to Netflix and is about a woman in New York who is faced with a trauma that causes her life to unravel.
Based on the novel of the same name by Jessica Knoll and confirmed for release in 2022.
Genre: Comedy | Director: John Hamburg
Cast: Mark Wahlberg, Regina Hall, Kevin Hart, Jimmy O. Yang
A big ensemble cast comes together for this comedy movie that is written and directed by John Hamburg.
Follows a Dad who finds time for himself for the first time in years while his wife and kids are away. He reconnects with a friend for a wild weekend.
Genre: Action, Thriller | Director: Dev Patel
Cast: Dev Patel, Sharlto Copley, Sobhita Dhulipala
This will be Dev Patel’s directorial debut in a movie Netflix paid a reported $30 million for.
An unlikely hero emerges from prison to take on a world enmeshed in
corporate greed and eroding spiritual values, seeking revenge from those
who took everything from him many years ago.
The movie concluded filming in early 2021.
Mr. Harrigan’s Phone
Genre: Horror | Director: John Lee Hancock
Cast: Donald Sutherland, Jaeden Martell, Joe Tippett
Adapting the Stephen King novel, this movie is being produced by Jason Blum (Blumhouse) and Ryan Murphy.
The movie revolves around a young boy living in a small town befriending a billionaire but after he dies, the young boy continues communicating with him via his iPhone.
My Father’s Dragon
Genre: Animated | Director: Nora Twomey
Cartoon Saloon from Ireland will be bringing their animated feature My Father’s Dragon to Netflix in 2021.
The movie was announced a big lineup of new animated projects back in 2018 with many coming to fruition next year. The movie is being written by Meg LeFauve who was previously at Pixar and wrote Inside Out and The Good Dinosaur.
Genre: War drama | Director: John Madden
Cast: Kelly Macdonald, Jason Isaacs, Colin Firth, Matthew Macfadyen, Johnny Flynn
Set during World War II, this war drama comes from See-Saw Films and is about two intelligence officers using tricks to outwith German troops.
The movie has been filming for some time as we’ve covered in our comprehensive preview.
Operation Mincemeat will be released on Netflix globally excluding the United Kingdom.
Genre: Drama, Romance | Director: Carrie Cracknell
Cast: Dakota Johnson, Richard E. Grant, Henry Golding, Suki Waterhouse
Launching in 2022, this romance movie is based on the beloved Jane Austen novel and is being adapted by Ron Bass and Alice Winslow. The movie was filmed over the summer of 2021.
Here’s what you can expect:
Living with her snobby family on the brink of bankruptcy, Anne Elliot is an unconforming woman with modern sensibilities. When Frederick Wentworth—the dashing one she let get away—crashes back into her life, Anne must choose between putting the past behind her or listening to her heart when it comes to second chances.”
Genre: Biography | Director: George C. Wolfe
Cast: Colman Domingo, Chris Rock, Glynn Turman, Audra McDonald, Jeffrey Wright, Aml Ameen, Gus Halper, Johnny Ramey, CCH Pounder, Michael Potts
A new biopic on the gay civil rights activist Bayard Rustin who was most known for organizing the 1963 march on Washington.
Comes from the Obamas production company Higher Ground Productions.
Genre: Comedy | Director: Alex Hardcastle
Cast: Rebel Wilson, Alicia Silverstone, Justin Hartley, Angourie Rice, Sam Richardson, Zoë Chao
Rebel Wilson headlines this new comedy movie that’s due to release on Netflix globally on May 13th.
Here’s what you can expect:
“After a cheerleader falls off a pyramid and into a 20 year coma, she wakes up as a 37-year-old woman, ready to return to high school, regain her status and claim the prom queen crown that eluded her.”
Genre: Biopic | Director: John Ridley
Cast: Regina King, Lance Reddick, W. Earl Brown, Lucas Hedges, Terrence Howard
Participant and Royal Ties team up for a new biopic on the late Shirley Chisholm who notably became the first black woman elected to the United States Congress.
12 Years a Slave director John Ridley is heading up the project with Regina King producing.
Genre: Fantasy | Director: Francis Lawrence
Cast: Jason Momoa, Marlow Barkley, Chris O’Dowd, Kyle Chandler, Weruche Opia, India de Beaufort, Humberly Gonzalez
Produced by Chernin Entertainment, this new fantasy movie will see Jason Momoa play Flip based on the characters written by Winsor McCay.
Here’s what you can expect from the new movie aimed at families:
“A young girl discovers a secret map to the dreamworld of Slumberland, and with the help of an eccentric outlaw, she traverses dreams and flees nightmares, with the hope that she will be able to see her late father again”
Genre: Sci-fi | Director: Johan Renck
Cast: Adam Sandler, Carey Mulligan, Paul Dano, Isabella Rossellini, Kunal Nayyar
Adam Sandler is set to headline this sci-fi adaptation (previously known as Spaceman of Bohemia) of the book from Jaroslav Kalfař. The story is of an orphaned boy raised in the Czech countryside who beats all odds and becomes the countries first astronaut.
The movie entered post-production in summer 2021.
Genre: Action, Sci-Fi- Mystery, Thriller | Director: Joseph Kosinski
Cast: Chris Hemsworth, Miles Teller, Jurnee Smollett, Mark Paguio, Tess Haubrich
Previously known as Escape from Spiderhead, this action thriller is set in the near future and follows two young convicts grappling with their pasts in a facility run by a brilliant visionary. That visionary is someone who experiments on inmates with emotion-altering drugs.
Based on an article from the New Yorker by George Saunders.
The Good Nurse
Genre: Crime, Mystery | Director: Tobias Lindholm
Cast: Jessica Chastain, Eddie Redmayne, Kim Dickens, Noah Emmerich, Devyn McDowell, Ajay Naidu
Based on the book by Charles Graeber, this movie is about an infamous caregiver who is being implicated in the deaths of hundreds of patients at a hospital.
The Gray Man
Genre: Action | Director: Joe and Anthony Russo
Cast: Ana de Armas, Alfre Woodard, Chris Evans, Ryan Gosling, Jessica Henwick, Regé-Jean Page
The book series from Mark Greaney is set to see a huge adaptation on Netflix and not only that, will likely spawn a huge thriller franchise for Netflix comparable to the size of The Bourne movies and James Bond.
Ana de Armas, Chris Evans, Ryan Gosling, Wagner Moura, Jessica Henwick, and Dhanush are all attached to star with Avengers: End Game directors Anthony and Joe Russo directing.
Genre: Action, Thriller | Director: Niki Caro
Cast: Jennifer Lopez, Joseph Fiennes, Omari Hardwick, Gael Garcia Bernal, Paul Raci, Lucy Paez
Armed with a budget of $30 million according to our sources, this Vertigo Entertainment movie is one of several coming from Jennifer Lopez as part of her big overall deal.
Has been described as John Wick meets Hannah about a mother and daughter duo trying to escape their old life.
Genre: Family, Adventure | Director: Matt Charman
Cast: Halle Berry, Omari Hardwick, Jaiden J. Smith, Quinn McPherson, Paul Guilfoyle, Sydney Lemmon, Molly Parker, John Ortiz
Berry will play Sara Morse in this new family sci-fi movie where she discovers a strange object nestled away in their rural arm which sets them off on an adventure.
Confirmed for release in 2022.
The Pale Blue Eye
Genre: Crime, Horror | Director: Scott Cooper
Cast: Christian Bale, Harry Melling
Christian Bale will play the role of Augustus Landor who is a veteran detective investigating murders helped by his young cadet who will become Edgar Allan Poe.
The School for Good and Evil
Genre: Fantasy | Director: Paul Feig
Cast: Michelle Yeoh, Charlize Theron, Laurence Fishburne, Kery Washington
Decorated director Paul Fieg will adapt the book series The School for Good and Evil for Netflix with Sophia Anne Caruso and Sofia Wylie currently set to star.
Production wrapped on this movie in June 2021 with it scheduled for a 2022 release.
The Sea Beast
Genre: Animation | Director: Chris Williams
Having previously worked at Walt Disney Animation Studios working on projects like Lilo & Stitch, The Princess and the Frog, Big Hero 6, and The Emporer’s Groove, Chris Williams will be releasing his first major Netflix project in July 2022.
Here’s what you can expect:
“In an era when terrifying beasts roamed the seas, monster hunters were celebrated heroes – and none were more beloved than the great Jacob Holland. But when young Maisie Brumble stows away on his fabled ship, he’s saddled with an unexpected ally. Together they embark on an epic journey into uncharted waters and make history.”
Genre: Mystery, Thriller | Director: Sebastián Lelio
Cast: Florence Pugh, Ciarán Hinds, Niamh Algar, Tom Burke, Toby Jones, Elaine Cassidy
This new period mystery thriller is headlined by Black Widow’s Florence Pugh who will play the role of Lib Wright.
The movie will tell the story of two strangers who go on to change each other’s lives in more ways than one.
They Cloned Tyrone
Genre: Comedy, Sci-fi | Director: Juel Taylor
Cast: Jamie Foxx, John Boyega, Teyonah Parris
Juel Taylor co-writes and directs this new sci-fi comedy confirmed to release in 2022.
Here’s the logline for the movie:
“A series of eerie events thrusts an unlikely trio (Boyega, Foxx and Parris) onto the trail of a nefarious government conspiracy in this pulpy mystery caper.”
We Have A Ghost
Genre: Family, Horror | Director: Christopher Landon
Cast: Jennifer Coolidge, David Harbour, Anthony Mackie, Tig Notaro
Based on the Vice short story, We Have a Ghost will see a huge roster of stars come together. It’s being produced by Legendary Entertainment and is about a man who claims to have made friends with a ghost who resembles someone famous and becomes viral online.
Wendell & Wild
Genre: Animation, Horror
Director: Henry Selick
Jordan Peele and Keegan-Michael Key are both behind the pen and set to voice in this brand new animated movie coming in 2021.
The director behind Nightmare Before Christmas and Coraline is lending his talents to this title. It’s dubbed as horror and is about two demon brothers escaping the underworld and must escape a teenager who is trying to vanquish them. Smart guesses say this is one of the Halloween 2021 releases.
Genre: Dram | Director: Noah Baumbach
Cast: Adam Driver, Jodie Turner-Smith, Greta Gerwig, Raffey Cassidy
Noah Baumbach will be back for his second major Netflix movie after Marriage Story.
The movie is set to adapt the classic book by Don DeLillo which is set at a mid-western college and will cover the year in the life of a professor called Jack Gladney.
You can see some behind-the-scenes shots and more in our comprehensive preview of the new movie.
Genre: Comedy | Director: Kenya Barris
Cast: Jonah Hill, Eddie Murphy, Julia Louis-Dreyfus, Lauren London, David Duchovny, Nia Long, Molly Gordon, Travis Bennett, Andrea Savage
Kenya Barris and Jonah Hill team on this new comedy about a new couple and their families who find themselves examining modern love and family dynamics amidst clashing cultures, societal expectations and
Other Netflix Original Movies Confirmed for 2022
- 13: The Musical – CBS film adaptation of the play directed by Tamra Davis and starring Debra Messing, Rhea Perlman and Josh Peck.
- A Perfect Pairing – Directed by Stuart McDonald, this movie sees a LA wine-company executive traveling to a remove Australian sheep station.
- Along for the Ride – Romantic drama based on the Sarah Dessen novel. Directed and written by Sofia Alvarez.
- Boo! – Marlon Wayans Halloween comedy about a teenage girl who unleashes a mischievous spirit during the holiday season.
- End of the Road – Queen Latifah will headline this new thriller about a recent widow being driven cross country to start a new life. On the trip, they become stranded in the desert with a killer hunting them down. Directed by Millicent Shelton and reportedly concluded filming in summer 2021.
- Ivy and Bean – Family film adapting the best selling kids book and will be directed by Elissa Down.
- Love in the Villa – Tom Hopper and Kat Graham will start in this romantic movie scheduled to be filmed in Verona, Italy.
- Matilda – Musical based on the Roald Dahl book coming in December 2022. Directed by Matthew Warchus.
- Purple Hearts – Romantic drama about an aspiring musician who finds love with a soldier. Nicholas Galitzine and Sofia Carson to star. Based on the novel by Tess Wakefield.
- The Inheritance – Previously known as The Last Will & Testament of Charles Abernathy Alejandro Brugués directs this movie about a billionaire who calls his kids to his house as he suspects he may soon be dead.
- The Noel Diary – Christmas movie starring James Remar, Bonnie Bedelia and Justin Hartley about a man returning home for Christmas to settle his mother’s estate.
- The Swimmers – Drama directed by Sally El Hosaini about two refugee sisters who go onto compete in the 2016 Rio Olympics.
- The Weekend Away – Kim Farrant will direct this thriller set to star Leighton Meester and Luke Norris. It’s about a weekend getaway to Croatia that turns into disaster with a woman accused of killing her best friend. Coming to Netflix on March 3rd.
- Tyler Perry’s A Madea Homecoming – Tyler Perry once again takes up the character of Madea in this new comedy. Coming to Netflix on February 25th.
- Windfall – Directed by Charlie McDowell this Hitchcockian thriller follows a wealthy couple who arrive at their vacation
home only to find it’s being robbed. Coming to Netflix on March 18th. Starring Jason Segel and Lily Collins.
Netflix Original Movies Coming Soon to Netflix
All of the movies listed below are at various stages of development and although not confirmed to come in 2022, we suspect many still will.
Beverly Hills Cop 4
Genre: Comedy | Director: Adil El Arbi and Bilall Fallah
Cast: Eddie Murphy
That’s right, decades after Eddie Murphy first played Axel Foley, Netflix has revived the action crime comedy for a fourth entry.
Chicken Run: Dawn of the Nugget
Director: Sam Fell
Confirmed Release Date: 2023
It’s been a hot minute but a sequel for Chicken Run is on its way to Netflix. Aardman Animation and Netflix have now worked on a number of projects including Robin Robin and Shaun the Sheep but that will expand to the first full feature exclusive to Netflix globally in 2021.
The sequel will see the return of Babs, Ginger, Rocky, and Fletcher living on their new island after escaping Tweedy’s farm. It was previously believed that Chicken Run 2 could arrive in 2021, but it’s more likely to be 2023 according to the movie’s IMDb page.
Code 8: Part II
Genre: Sci-fi | Director: Jeff Chan
Cast: Robbie Amell and Stephen Amell
The first movie was a fan-funded movie short which turned into a movie and jumped onto Netflix. Now, a sequel is in development and will begin filming in late 2021.
Here’s what the sequel is about:
“The sequel follows the journey of a teenage girl fighting to get justice for her slain brother at the hands of corrupt police officers.”
Genre: Comic, Fantasy | Director: Alice Waddington
Based on the comic by Matt Kindt (released by Dark Horse Entertainment) this movie will see the daughter of a murdered scientist discovering his death at a deep-sea research facility.
Fast and Loose
Genre: Action, Thriller | Director: David Leitch
Cast: Will Smith
Purchased from STXFilms and 87North, this new action thriller will star Will Smith as John Riley.
Here’s what you can expect from the upcoming film:
“After the leader of a criminal organization suffers memory loss from an attack, he reunites with his crew, only to find that things aren’t what he thinks they are.”
According to reports following the 2022 Oscars, Will Smith’s latest Netflix project was put on hold following his actions at the Oscars.
Genre: Fantasy, Comic Book | Director: Jim Mickle
The showrunner behind Netflix’s Sweet Tooth will be adapting the Image Comics God Country into a movie for Netflix. The comic comes from Geoff Shaw, Donny Cates and Jason Wordie.
Here’s what you can expect from the story if you’ve never read the comics:
An elderly widower in Texas is cured of dementia after discovering an enchanted sword in the eye of a tornado. Due to this discovery, however, he must fight otherworldly creatures that the sword has summoned. Based on the Image comic by Donny Cates and Geoff Shaw.
Heart Of Stone
Genre: Crime, Thriller | Director: Tom Harper
Cast: Gal Gadot, Jamie Doran
Netflix won this movie from Skydance movie which will see Gal Gadot that’s been pegged as being Netflix’s equivalent of Mission: Impossible or 007.
Genre: Action, Thriller | Director: Gareth Evans
Cast: Tom Hardy, Timothy Olyphant, Forest Whitaker
The director of The Raid and Netflix’s Apostle returns for this new action thriller headlined by Tom Hardy.
The story follows a detective who is following up on a drug deal that’s gone dramatically wrong that leads him to have to rescue a politician’s son.
The movie is being produced by XYZ Films and began filming in the summer of 2021.
High in the Clouds
Genre: Animation | Director: Timothy Reckart
Netflix and Gaumont are producing this new animated feature film based on the novel by Paul McCartney who is also reportedly producing brand new original music for the movie too.
The movie is about a teenage squirrel called Wirral who joins a team of rebels.
Genre: Detective, Crime | Director: Jamie Payne
Cast: Idris Elba, Andy Serkis, Cynthia Erivo
BBC Films, Chernin Entertainment and Netflix are teaming up for Luther, the feature film based on the British series.
Been described as a Jason Bourne/James Bond-esque movie.
Genre: Biopic, Music | Director: Bradley Cooper
Cast: Bradley Cooper, Carey Mulligan, Jeremy Strong
Produced by Amblin Entertainment (Steven Spielberg’s outfit), this movie serves a biopic for the famous composer Leonard Bernstein and more importantly, the relationship between him and Felicia.
Genre: Romantic Comedy | Director: Trish Sie
Cast: Tom Ellis, Gina Rodriguez, Damon Wayans Jr., Augustus Prew, Joel Courtney
Lucifer’s Tom Ellis and Jane the Virgin’s Gina Rodriguez will be teaming up for this romantic comedy set in New York City. It’s about a sportswriter Mack who falls for one of the targets that his “successful hook-up plays” scooped him.
Filming began in summer 2021.
Genre: Fantasy | Director: Wanuri Kahiu
Cast: Lili Reinhart, Aisha Dee, Luke Wilson, Andrea Savage, Nia Long
Riverdale’s Lili Reinhart stars in this unique new fantasy drama about a young girl who gets to see her life play out in two very different scenarios after her college graduation. On the one path, she becomes pregnant and in the other timeline, she pursues a career in Los Angeles.
The movie was filmed in the summer of 2021 and is being produced by Screen Arcade and Catchlight Studios.
Genre: Crime, Thriller | Director: Grant Singer
Cast: Benicio Del Toro, Justin Timberlake
Benicio Del Toro plays the role of Nichols, a New England detective who is relentless at his job.
The movie began filming in September 2021 and is due to wrap in November 2021 in Atlanta, Georgia.
Rise of the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles: The Movie
Genre: Animated, Kids | Director: Ant Ward & Andy Suriano
Cast: Ben Schwartz, Omar Benson Miller, Brandon Mychal Smith, Josh Brener, Kat Graham, Eric Bauza
One of the Nickelodeon projects coming to Netflix is a movie based on the relatively recently released Ninja Turtles series.
Here’s what you can expect from the movie:
“When a mysterious stranger arrives from the future with a dire warning, Leo is forced to rise and lead his brothers, Raph, Donnie, and Mikey in a fight to save the world from a terrifying alien species.”
Genre: Comedy | Director: Jennifer Kaytin Robinson
Cast: Sophie Turner, Maya Hawke, Cassady McClincy, Camila Mendes, Paris Berelc, Austin Abrams
From Likely Story comes this all-female-led comedy is described as a “Hitchcock-ian” dark comedy.
The movie is about a pact between two teens Drea and Eleanor teaming up to go after bullies who torment them.
Teddy and the Guardians of The Night
Genre: Family, Fantasy | Director: TBA
Seven Bucks Productions and FlynnPictureCo. are bringing this family adventure film to Netflix which is based on the famous illustration by Alex Panagopoulos.
Josh Stolberg and Bobby Florsheim are on board to write with Dwayne Johnson producing.
Society of the Snow
Genre: Biopic | Director: J.A. Bayona
Cast: Esteban Bigliardi, Matías Recalt, Rafael Federman, Agustín Pardella
Expected to be spoken predominantly in Spanish, this biopic will retell the story of the doomed Uruguayan Air Force Flight 571 which crashed into a glacier. Only so many of the crew went on to survive.
Director: Stephen Gaghan
Among the multiple video games Netflix is adapting from Ubisoft’s huge library of IP is The Division which is set to be directed by Rawson Marshall Thurber. It’ll be set in the near future where a pandemic virus has ravaged the economy and the world. Jessica Chastain and Jake Gyllenhaal set to star.
The Helicopter Heist
Genre: Drama | Director: Jimmy Chin & Elizabeth Chai Vasarhelyi
Cast: Jake Gyllenhaal
Netflix is adapting the Jonas Bonnier best-seller drama about a gang of thieves plot to steal over $5 million using a stolen helicopter.
Development on this one has gone quiet since December 2018.
The Homeless World Cup
Genre: Sport | Director: Thea Sharrock
Cast: Bill Nighy, Valeria Golino, Cristina Rodlo, Tom Vaughan-Lawlor, Susan Wokoma, Kit Young
From Blueprint Pictures, the studio behind Emma, The Last Letter From Your Lover, and Seven Psychopaths comes a heartfelt drama about the real-world organization that runs a football tournament for the homeless.
Genre: Action, Crime | Director: David Fincher
Cast: Michael Fassbender
David Fincher’s next big Netflix project begins production on November 1st and will be filmed on location around the globe.
The movie is about an elite assassin who is having a psychological crisis and tries to retire in Mexico however is quickly bought back.
The Monkey King
Genre: Animation | Director: Anthony Stacchi
Cast: Jimmy O. Yang, Stephanie Hsu, BD Wong, Jodi Long
Animated feature film set to release in 2023.
Genre: Action | Director: Patrick Hughes
XYZ Films and Range Media Partners are teaming up for a reboot of the 2012 movie starring Iko Uwais.
Here’s what you can expect from the reboot:
“Set in Philadelphia’s drug-infested badlands, and centers on an elite undercover DEA task force as they climb a ladder of cartel informants to catch an elusive kingpin. A re-imaging of Gareth Evans’ 2010 action thriller, which followed an elite Indonesian S.W.A.T. team.”
The Wonderful Story of Henry Sugar
Genre: Comedy, Adventure | Director: Wes Anderson
Cast: Benedict Cumberbatch, Ralph Fiennes, Ben Kingsley, Rupert Friend, Dev Patel
Netflix notably purchased the entire Roald Dahl library and one of their most ambitious projects announced so far is a new Wes Anderson movie that has an all-star cast assembled.
The movie adapts a series of short stories which focuses on the character of Henry Sugar.
Wallace & Gromit
Genre: Animation | Director: Nick Park and Merlin Crossingham
A new movie in the Wallace and Gromit universe is coming to Netflix exclusively to Netflix (excluding the UK) in 2024.
In the interest of this article not taking a lifetime to read, here’s a breakdown of even more movies on the way to Netflix.
- 36 Questions – Brett Haley is on board to direct this adaptation of the podcast.
- A God in Ruins – Western from writer Ibrahim R. Alraeesi.
- A Million Miles Away – Biopic of Jose M. Hernandez who is the first Mexican-American astronaut.
- A Note of Explanation – A time-traveling sprite inhabits Queen Mary’s dollhouse in Windsor Castle. Ben Queen to write.
- A Time Lost – Adaptation of a story developed by Millie Bobby Brown and her sister Paige Brown.
- A Tourist’s Guide to Love – Rachael Leigh Cook will star in this new romantic comedy about a travel executive tasked with learning about the tourist industry in Vietnam.
- A Weekend Away – Thriller from director Kim Farrant and set to star Leighton Meester and Christina Wolfe.
- ALICE – Modern musical reimagining of the classic Alice in Wonderland story.
- Amnesty – Ramin Bahrani (who directed The White Tiger for Netflix) is on board to direct this thriller about an undocumented migrant who cleans house when he finds out he may be an accessory to the murder of his employer.
- Amy And The Orphans – Drama directed by Lindsey Ferrentino about two estranged siblings having to break news of their fathers death to their sister who has Down syndrome.
- Animal Farm – Andy Serkis directs this adaptation of the George Orwell novel.
- Arranged Marriage – Vali Chandrasekaran (who has worked on Modern Family, 30 Rock and My Name Is Earl) will direct this comedy about a white woman asking her Indian friend’s family to arrange a marriage for her.
- Atlas – Jennifer Lopez will headline this sci-fi thriller directed by Brad Peyton and written by Aron Eli Coleite. Set in a bleak future where an AI soldier seeks to end humanity to stop war for good.
- Auntie Claus – New Christmas movie from the creator of High School Musical and Julie and the Phantoms.
- Bad Dad – British comedy David Williams (Little Britain) is set to adapt his book for Netflix.
- Ball and Chain – Dwayne Johnson and Emily Blunt superhero based on the 90s comic.
- Bank of Dave – Phoebe Dynevor and Joel Fry to star in this new comedy from director Chris Foggin.
- Best Christmas Ever – Charlotte Sanders and her family unexpectedly spends Christmas with her college friend Jackie Jennings.
- Betty Ford – Ryan Murphy produced movie starring Sarah Paulson about the first lady, Betty Ford.
- Beyond Good & Evil – Adaptation of the Ubisoft game led by director Rob Letterman.
- Bird Box 2 – A sequel to the Sandra Bullock Netflix smash-hit has long been rumored in development based on the novel’s sequel.
- Black Brother, Black Brother – Adaptation of the best-selling book from Stephen Curry and Erick Peyton.
- Black Stallions – Comedy featuring Kevin Hart, Don Cheadle, and Lil Rel Howery.
- Blackout – This anthology series will also have some feature films according to reports. Produced by the Obama’s Higher Ground Productions.
- Blade Of The 47 Ronin – A long-awaited sequel to the Keanu Reeves movie.
- Blink Speed – Cynthia Erivo will headline this new sci-fi thriller based on the short story by Eric Matthew Brown.
- Bright 2 – Sequel to the Will Smith fantasy movie.
- Button Man – Brian Helgeland is set to adapt this British comic book strip.
- Carmen Sandiego – Gina Rodriguez to headline this live-action film based on the character from David Siefkin.
- Change Agent – Immersive Pictures will produce this new crime thriller about an Interpol agent suffering a genetic attack that leaves him looking like a cartel leader.
- Chinatown – Prequel to the 1974 film with David Fincher serving as executive producer and Robert Towne penning the script.
- Christmas in Wonderland – Christmas feature film about Sierra who is recovering from a skiing accident who is taken in by a single dad.
- Christmas Quinceanera – Aimee Garcia and Freddie Prinze Jr to star in this new Christmas feature film.
- Chupa – Jonás Cuarón to direct this adventure drama starring Demián Bichir.
- Cocaine Hippos – Comedy starring Jermaine Fowler.
- Cold Warrior – Drama about a retired Cold War-era spy helping a younger agent track down a terrorist. Directed by Shane Black and written by Chuck Mondry.
- Damsel – Juan Carlos Fresnadillo is on board to direct this thriller about a princess tricked into thinking she’s marrying a prince only to be thrown into a pit being sacrificed to a dragon.
- Dark Days at the Magna Carta – 21 Laps Entertainment sci-fi horror being written by Michael Paisley.
- Death and the King’s Horseman – Nigerian movie from EbonyLife Films about the chief of the King’s stables amongst a Yoruban tribe.
- Death Note 2 – Sequel to the first live-action adaptation of the anime.
- Dial A For Aunties – Romantic comedy which will be directed by Fresh Off the Boat creator Nahnatchka Khan.
- Do Not Harm – Silver Pictures Entertainment is working on this erotic thriller about a surgeon going down a dangerous path when she has an affair with another doctor.
- Dog Gone – Rob Lowe biopic based on the true story of a father and son who are trying to repair their fractured relationship. Directed by Stephen Herek.
- Dorothy & Alice – Adaptation of the Justin Merz novel based on the iconic figures from literature.
- Down Low – Rightor Doyle directs this comedy about a deeply repressed man.
- Dr. Rapp – John Hamburg is set to write and direct this biopic on a man that had a stroke that turned him into a rap legend.
- Dragon’s Lair – Ryan Reynolds will lead this action fantasy movie from Vertigo Entertainment about Dirk the Daring who sets out to rescue a princes from the evil dragon.
- Empathy Machine – Sci-fi horror directed by Francis Lawrence described as a mix of Ex Machine meets Rosemary’s Baby.
- Exit West – Adaptation from Higher Ground Productions adapting the Mohsin Hamid novel and will star Riz Ahmed.
- Extraction 2 – A sequel to the first Chris Hemsworth movie currently on Netflix.
- Family Leave – Jennifer Garner will star in this new family comedy about two families who all body switch on opposite sides of the world.
- Flash Boys – Previously at Sony Pictures, this book looks at the life of Michael Lewis who worked on Wall Street and alleges the entire industry is corrupt.
- Forty Acres – Thriller with Jay-Z producing. About a civil
- Fuzzy Towers – Kevin James stars as an optometrist who dreams of working for a kids TV show.
- Gundam – Jordan Vogt-Roberts to direct this new sci-fi adaptation of the anime from Legendary Entertainment.
- Hamlet – Riz Ahmed led modern-day adaptation.
- Happiness for Beginners – Ellie Kemper led drama about a 32-year-old divorcee signing up for a wilderness survival course.
- Heat – Gregory Nava to direct the Heat novel by Mike Lupica.
- Hello America – Netflix secured the film rights to the 1981 novel by JG Ballard in 2017 with Scott Free to produce but has gone quiet.
- Hello, Universe – Announced in May 2019, this movie is based on the novel by Erin Entrada Kelly.
- Here Comes the Flood – Jason Bateman to direct this romance-heist movie.
- I Came By – Thriller about a young graffiti artist discovering a secret that means he has to flee for his life. Stars Kelly MacDonald, George MacKay, and Hugh Bonneville.
- I Slept With Joey Ramone – Pete Davidson will play Joey Ramone the so-called King of Punk.
- I Used to Be Famous – Eddie Sternberg to direct this musical comedy following Vince (played by Ed Skrein) who dreams of making a comeback.
- Ivy – Sci-fi movie from Danis Goulet about a husband building his wife a smart AI house known as Ivy who soon generates an evil agenda.
- Janet – Janet Mock will direct this biography of a young black woman at the Washington Post who has the goal of reaching the front page.
- John Henry and the Statesmen – Action thriller directed by Jake Kasdan and starring Dwayne Johnson.
- King of Boys 2 – Nollywood crime-drama sequel.
- Lady Killer – Blake Lively will headline this action thriller as Josie Schuller, the perfect 1950s wife who leads a double life as a trained killer.
- Leave The World Behind – Sam Esmail to develop this Julia Roberts led movie based on Rumaan Alam’s novel.
- Life Sentence – Sci-fi from 6th & Idaho Productions about a prisoner who chooses to enroll in a futuristic program that erase his memories.
- Lift – Action movie about a master thief and her ex-boyfriend teaming up to steal $100 million in gold being transported via a flight from London to Zurich. Stars Kevin Hart.
- Lost Dog – Canine movie adapting the novel Lost Dog: A Love Story.
- Loteria – Eugenio Derbez to star in this family adventure film.
- Lou – Alison Janney will headline this Bad Robot production about a woman living on a remote island recruited by a neighbor to help find her kidnapped daughter.
- Love & Gelato – Brandon Camp writes and directs this new romance adaptation starring Robin Tunney.
- Masters of the Universe – Aaron Nee to direct a live-action He-Man movie previously at Sony Pictures. Kyle Allen to star.
- Mega Man – A live-action movie based on the classic Capcom game.
- Millarworld movies including:
- Sharkey The Bounty Hunter
- Mixtape – Valerie Weiss will direct this rom-com starring Julie Bowen and Jackson Rathbone.
- Most Dangerous Game – Netflix and Treehouse Pictures reunite Zoey Deutch, Glen Powell and writer/producer Katie Silberman in this new romantic comedy.
- Most Talented Family – Camilla Blackett will write this new family feature film for Netflix.
- Murder Mystery 2 – Sequel to the Adam Sandler and Jennifer Aniston comedy with Jeremy Garelick on board to direct.
- My Wife and I Bought A Ranch… – 21 Laps horror movie adapted from the Reddit short story.
- Nyad – 64-year-old marathon swimmer, Diana Nyad (played by Annette Bening), attempts to become the first person ever to swim from Cuba to Florida.
- Our Man from Jersey – Mark Wahlberg and Halle Barry to co-star alongside each other in this thriller which is described as a blue-collar James Bond.
- Pashmina – Animated feature film from director Gurinder Chadha about a young girl who discovers her heritage via her magical pashmina.
- Past Midnight – Action drama produced by Anthony and Joe Russo and written by T.J. Fixman.
- Planet of the Dead – A follow-up sequel to 2020’s Army of the Dead.
- Quartermaster – Drew Pearce to direct new thriller and described as a high-concept thriller.
- Rebel Moon – Zack Snyder’s big new sci-fi movie that was originally pitched as a Star Wars story. Will also have a sequel.
- Rebel Ridge – American thriller starring John Boyega. Development is unknown on this one.
- Red Notice 2 & 3 – Follow-up movies to Netflix’s big action movie starring Dwayne Johnson, Gal Gadot and Ryan Reynolds.
- Redd Zone – Jada Pinkett Smith to star in this upcoming drama.
- Rez Ball – Coming-of-age drama produced by LeBron James.
- Rockaway – 3dot Productions to produce this Kerry Washington led adaptation of the book from Diane Cardwell.
- Rodney & Sheryl – Movie biopic on the serial killer Rodney Alcala directed by Chloe Okuno.
- Sand Kings – George R.R. Martin’s book being adapted as a Netflix feature film.
- Sherlock Junior – New movie looking into the early years of the famous detective with Ehren Kruger helming.
- Shoe Dog – Adaptation of Phil Knight’s best-selling memoir about the shoe company Nike’s meteoric rise.
- Shoot Like a Girl – Netflix is reportedly taking this project over which had Angelina Jolie originally listed but Gal Gadot is thought to be replacing her for the Netflix version.
- Shout It Out Loud – Biopic on Gene Simmons and Paul Stanley who go on to form a band known as KISS. Directed by Joachim Rønnin.
- Six Years – Movie adaptation of the Harlan Coben thriller with David Ayer writing and directing.
- Spongebob Squarepants Spin-offs – Two untitled Spongebob movies are in the works as well as a series.
- Steps – Animation from Alyce Tzue and Netflix Animation about two stepsisters who are overlooked for marriage by the prince and instead opt to go on an epic journey.
- Stitch Head – Animated feature film from director Steve Hudson about a small humanoid monster stitched together from leftovers.
- Student Driver – Action comedy from Peter Hoare with Kyle Newacheck directing. About a substitute driver’s ed teacher and his students embarking on a madcap adventure.
- Teddy Bear – Family feature film inspired by Alex Panagopoulos’ drawing of a teddy bear defending a young, sleeping child from an approaching monster. Bobby Florsheim and Josh Stolberg behind the project.
- The Last Kingdom: Seven Kings Must Die – Edward Bazalgette will direct this follow-up movie to the successful Netflix series.
- The Netherfield Girls – Described as a contemporary update of Pride and Prejudice with Maitreyi Ramakrishnan set to star.
- Take The Ice – Charles Randolph-Wright will direct this new family movie about a 15-year-old dreaming of becoming a world-class ice skater.
- Tenzing – Biopic on Tenzing Norgay, the person who climbed alongside Sir Edmund Hillary to the top of Everest.
- The Chronicles of Narnia – At least one movie is part of Netflix’s huge upcoming Narnia universe.
- The Bluff – The Russo Brothers will produce this period drama about a Caribbean woman whose secret past is revealed when her island is invaded by vicious buccaneers.
- The Cactus – Romantic comedy based on the book by Sarah Haywood from Hello Sunshine.
- The Cipher – Jennifer Lopez to star as FBI special agent Nina Guerrera.
- The Council – Will Smith-led crime drama where he plays a crime boss Nicky Barnes.
- The Formula – Robert De Niro and John Boyega will star in this Formula One movie about a prodigy who is forced to become a getaway driver. Directed by Gerard McMurray.
- The Ghost In The Machine – Drama from Heyday Films about how a middle-class black girl from the North Side of Minneapolis become one of the biggest threats to the entire US banking system.
- The Girls I’ve Been – Millie Bobby Brown on board to star in this adaptation of the Tess Sharpe novel.
- The Hills Have Eyes For You – Horror romantic comedy from Eli Craig.
- The Hunchback of Notre Dame – Musical featuring Idris Elba dubbed as a modern retelling of the classic tale.
- The Kane Chronicles 1-3 – Percy Jackson writer Rick Riordan is bringing his excellent Kane Chronicles to Netflix.
- The Kitchen – Kibwe Tavares to direct this new sci-fi movie set in 2040s London. Kano from Top Boy will star.
- The Magician’s Elephant – Animated feature film from director Wendy Rogers about an orphaned boy who is told by a fortune teller that an elephant will help him find his lost sister. Due to release in 2023.
- The Nailbomber – Feature-length British documentary about far-right extremists who planted nail bombs across London.
- The Old Guard, Chapter Two: Force Multiplied – Sequel to The Old Guard starring Charlize Theron.
- The Out-Law – Tyler Spindel to direct this action-comedy from Happy Madison about a bank manager about to marry and gets held up by the Ghost Bandits. Starring Nina Dobrev and Pierce Brosnan.
- The Perfect Find – Numa Perrier directs this rom-com starring Gabrielle Union and Gina Torres.
- The Piano Lesson – August Wilson adaptation from the producers of Ma Rainey’s Black Bottom.
- The Selection – Adaption of the Kiera Cass novel directed by Haifaa Al-Mansour.
- The Thing About Jellyfish – Millie Bobby Brown led movie adapting the novel.
- The Young Wife – Tayarisha Poe writes and directs about a 29-year-old woman on the day of her first wedding.
- Thelma the Unicorn – Animated feature film from Dreamworks Animation and director Jared Hess.
- This Beast – Kurt Sutter writes and directs this movie produced by Blumhouse about a lowly trapper is tasked with killing a mysterious beast in an 18th-century village.
- Tilt – MacMillan Hedges is on board to write this new movie from Chernin Entertainment.
- To Hell with the Devil – Thriller from John Holiday about a group of misfits who conjure up a demon to help save their friend.
- Trigger Warning – Catchlight Studios presents this Jessica Alba led action thriller directed by Mouly Surya.
- True Spirit – Anna Paquin and Teagan Croft will star in this biopic of a young Australian teenager who sailed around the world.
- Uglies – McG directs this new movie starring Joey King.
- Uncoupled – Comedy from screenwriter Robbie Fox about a couple on the eve of their divorce having to go on the run after being accused of murder.
- Upstate – Comedy starring Ryan Renyolds.
- Underworld – Ted Melfi to adapt the novel by Don DeLillo.
- Unfrosted – Biopic on the creation of the pop-tart coming to Netflix in late 2022.
- Untitled Dany Levy Romantic Comedy – Begins production in July 2022.
- Uprising – 21 Laps Entertainment action thriller about a global viral pandemic that turns people into vampires. Directed by Travis Knight.
- Virunga – Leonardo DiCaprio and Barry Jenkins teaming on a movie based on the documentary.
- War Party – Adventure film about Navy SEALS starring Tom Hardy.
- We Can Be Heroes 2 – Sequel to the Robert Rodriguez movie that lit up the top 10s in Christmas 2020.
- Wedding Season – Tom Dey to direct this rom-com about an Indian-American woman finding a boyfriend temporarily for the wedding season.
- Where I End – Sophia Takal to direct this new sci-fi thriller.
- Your Place Or Mine – Aggregate Films producing this rom-com starring Reese Witherspoon and Ashton Kutcher.
You can find even more Netflix movies coming up on the wiki page which does a fantastic job of keeping up.
With thanks to Variety Insight for data included in this list.
So in conclusion, Netflix is making movies. A lot of them.
Have we missed any? Let us know in the comments down below.